Friday, September 20, 2013

The End

We said goodbye to Bug today. After two prior vet visits this week, and him refusing to eat, it was time.

Pmo and I took him in together. The doctors talked with us and agreed that, at this point, it was the best thing for him because things were only going to get worse and he would suffer.

We broke down crying and spent some time alone with Bug. Then one by one, the people at Parkdale started to file into the room and pay their respects. Sort of a funeral before the death. It was very moving.

Pmo and I were both with Bug when he passed on. I held his face in my hands and told him I loved him. Then he was gone. And I laid his head, which had become heavy, down on the table. We spent a few more minutes alone with him. Then it was time to leave.

The doctor put Bug in his blanket inside a box and we put him in the car. We picked up Jack at home then headed to my mom and dad's. They have a place on the hill behind the pond where they buried Simba (their pug), a neighbor's pug and our horse, Hank. I called them on the way over and Dad was already preparing the grave when we arrived.

Dad had to take Bug over in the box by four wheeler, so he gave him one last ride around the house. Bug always loved to ride with Papaw and would scream his head off the whole way. After Dad was done, we buried Bug, said goodbye again, and headed back to the house.

Pmo and I hadn't eaten anything all day, so we grabbed some food on the way home a few hours later. With just Jack. We're a threesome now. It's so weird.

When we got home, I started to clean up because Bug had left a trail of mess behind in the past few days. And neither of us felt like dealing with it. I came into the back bedroom where Bug slept, looked at his empty cage and lost it.

He's never coming out of there again.
He's never going to bang his head on the wall trying to find his way down the hallway.
He's never going to yell at me for giving him an insulin shot, or cleaning his eyes out, or anything else I do to try and help him.
He's never going to beg for bacon.
He's never going to snore.

But he's never going to hurt again either.
Bug's at peace, and now we need to rest and let it sink in.

Night, night...sweet Bugton.
We love you.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful words and a heart wrenching read. I'm really sorry for your loss. He was no ordinary dog.

    ReplyDelete